Mang Inasal

If you’re bored with the usual fried chicken from your regular eating place, maybe it’s time to taste the goodness of chicken inasal at Mang Inasal. Trying out Mang Inasal’s menu will be the freshest thing your taste buds will experience today.

Mang Inasal serves chicken, pork and bangus inasal that’s awesomely delicious you’ll have its taste as the standard of Filipino barbecue. Inasal is a Filipino term (Ilonngo) used to refer to barbecue that’s carefully done over charcoal. Inasal’s basic marinate ingredients include: calamasi, soy sauce, vinegar, much garlic, ginger and black pepper. The combination of these ingredients makes inasal deliciously different from Western barbecue. Today, inasal has been more developed and secret spices have been added to make it more appetizing.

Mang Inasal was one of the local food stores that made inasal so famous. It was founded by Edgar Sia II in 2003 when he was only 20 years old. From a single store that he founded, it grew successfully into a chain of restaurants most especially in the Visayas and Mindanao where inasal is a native dish. Mang Inasal franchises have proven to be hits all over the country and now have 445 stores nationwide. In 2010, Jollibee Foods Corp acquired 70% of Mang Inasal’s control for a reported 3 billion pesos while the remaining 30% is still owned by Edgar Sia II.

What makes Mang Inasal the fastest growing food chain in the Philippines

Mang Inasal

It’s no secret Mang Inasal creates unique, delicious and gratifying meals, their cuisines match or even surpasses their Western restaurant counterparts in terms of flavor, good service and ambience. Mang Inasal puts into equation the combination of native Filipino flavor and Filipino hospitality, they also added the consideration of the Filipino budget which all in all results to the love and success they’re experiencing. Mang inasal is the “sulit” place to dine. The support of Filipinos for Mang Inasal is equivalent to the restaurant’s unlimited rice. It is the Philippines’ own and for a very long time it will be the Pinoys’ number one food store.

Wouldn’t it be grand if we knew the secret to Mang Inasal’s chicken and pork recipes? Well, we may never know but here is a recipe for inasal the people of Visayas have been doing for decades. It’s delicious and fairly easy to do:

Inasal from the Visayas version I

Inasal literally means barbecue and applies to meat and fish. Marinated meat and fish are skewed in bamboo sticks and are barbecued slowly over native tree charcoals.

You’ll need the following ingredients:

1 whole Chicken or I kg pork or bangus

1/3 cup native cane vinegar
1 – 8oz bottle sprite
1 thumb-sized ginger, minced

Garlic, minced
6 calamansi, squeezed and removed of seeds
2 tbsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper

For the basting sauce you’ll need:
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 tablespoons melted margarine
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp achuete powder
2 calamansi


In a bowl mix the garlic, vinegar, sprite, ginger, calamansi juice, salt and pepper and in it marinade your meat or fish for at least 2hours and place inside the refrigerator (it will taste better if left for 24 hours with constant turning).

When ready to cook, heat a grill or a charcoal ihawan until an even heat covers the grill area. You can skewer the meat or bangus in barbecue sticks if desired. Barbecue your inasal until cooked, basting constantly with the sauce.

Basting sauce:

Heat oil in a pan then add margarine and salt. Mix in the achuete powder and stir. Remove the pan from heat and add calamansi juice to the mixture. Baste your inasal with this mixture while cooking.

Mang Inasal also delivers, all you have to do is call 733-1111 (for Metro Manila area only) to savor your favorite inasal dishes as well as other meals.